Monday, February 27, 2006

death by testing: an american epidemic

a serious one.

So I stumbled across a rather intriguing topic: intelligence. The subject is rather problematic in the States. Throughout life, ungrateful American children, teens, and adults are tested on a bunch of stuff which supposedly determines whether you are so-called "smart" or not. Remember, ITBS, SAT's, ACT's, GRE's? Yes, yes, I am sure you do, because society behaves as if these tests determine whether you live or die a horrible death. God forbid your 7 year old doesn't rank in the top 99th percentile. Straight to hell with them! Other aspects constitute intelligence besides mathematics and reading comprehension. For instance, how about musical, linguistic, spacial, interpersonal, or intrapersonal intelligence? Don't they matter too? Shouldn't you be given credit for sensing rhythm, telling great stories, being able to interact with society, and also understand your ownself? I'm not sure about you, but no one ever told me those things were important. I only discovered this when I met a bunch of brainwashed bible-thumpers... but that's another story. No wonder little children and teens are so irritating, and the college students are losing hair; they are all tested to see just how dumb they really are. I think I just realized why I was so pissed off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home